"a remote and contemplative observation of the world’s wild tumult" — The Forward
The concept of Dog Ear is simple and straightforward: dog-eared pages of mass-market paperbacks are photographed to isolate the small diagonally bisected squares or rectangles of text. The photographs are formally quite neutral and sedate—cursorily reminiscent of Alber's "Homage to the Square" series of prints, paintings and tapestries—but the text also demands attention and it is what allows or coaxes the viewer to linger. In his introduction to the book, Kenneth Goldsmith asks: "Do we see them or do we read them? If we choose to read them, how should we read? Across the fold? Through it? Around it? If we choose to look at Baum's pictures, how should we see them? As artistic photographs? Documentation? Text art?"
25 full color images; with essays by Kenneth Goldsmith and Béatrice Gross.
This is the second edition.
A limited edition print is available here.
- 18.29.16 | Erica Baum's Dog Ear reviewed by Alexis Zanghi at The Collagist
- 04.08.14 | Erica Baum's Dog Ear reviewed by The Found Poetry Review
- 12.14.12 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is reviewed in the Kenyon Review
- 06.26.12 | Full Stop discusses Dog Ear
- 05.21.12 | Erica Baum's The Melody Indicator published in Triple Canopy
- 12.12.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is Derek Beaulieu's year-end pick
- 11.14.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is reviewed on the Lemon Hound blog
- 10.28.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is reviewed in Lana Turner
- 09.28.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum reviewed in Revue 02
- 08.08.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum reviewed on Molossus
- 08.04.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum featured in the new issue of Shelf Unbound
- 06.24.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is featured in the International Center for Photography blog
- 06.23.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is reviewed in The Forward
- 06.21.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum reviewed on The Public Face blog
- 06.13.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is reviewed on the Faded Paper Project blog
- 05.18.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum is featured on seattlepi.com
- 04.29.11 | Erica Baum's Dog Ear series is an editor's pick in Art in America
- 04.08.11 | Dog Ear by Erica Baum and Neighbor by Rachel Levitsky featured in Jacket2
News and Reviews
Her word play is at once both deeply contemporary and achingly nostalgic, a mourning for a more physical relationship to knowledge.—International Center of Photography
...proposes a divine (or poetic) perspective: a remote and contemplative observation of the world’s wild tumult.—The Forward
Dog Ear is a perfect book to learn how to find the fun in reading poems that ask the reader to work, poems that ask the reader to participate, engage, judge, decide, involve themselves.—A Public Face
The work in Dog Ear seamlessly integrates process, visual poetics, fragmentation, and the use of found texts, four of the major currents in the past half-century of avante-garde poetry.—Sam Rowe, Full Stop
The beauty and grace of Baum's work is in its simple and elegant conception, regarding a traditional mode of reading/manipulating a text - the dog ear - with an eye to the contemporary age.—Ben Hynes, Lemon Hound